There are several ways you can volunteer:
- Go to PuRR Project once a week and “socialize” with the adult cats in our gardens. We are like a huge family with lots and lots of “children” (our cats!). Many of them crave attention. Just sit yourself down anywhere in the gardens and you’ll have cats coming to you wanting to give you their unconditional love. It’s so gratifying knowing that doing something so pleasant for you means so much to them.
- Assist the vets in the clinic. This is not for everyone….but for those who don’t get squeamish, it’s wonderful work to help those cats and kittens that are not feeling well. On the job training provided.
- Socialize with the kittens ready for adoption. The more accustomed they are to a “good” human touch, the better they’ll do in their new forever homes.
- Help out at Adoption Days. Held on periodic Saturdays. Help set up / take down, transport the kittens, talk with prospective families, etc….
- Foster a kitten that needs a little extra TLC, or learn to bottle feed! It’s a great experience to care for a little one!
- Help to organize fundraising events. We run solely on donations and need fun and successful events.
- Do written translations – English to Spanish / Spanish to English
- Construction work – PuRR Project always has construction and repair needs. If you are willing to donate your time to work, we’ll find donations to purchase the materials!
- Virtual Adoption Coordinator: someone to find folks to virtually adopt – and then keep them posted on how their particular feline is doing….with periodic emails and photos.
Items constantly needed
- Old sheets and pillow cases
- Old towels – large, small and face
- Empty boxes – for cats to sleep on or play with
- Old chair or sofa cushions
- Scratching posts
- Kitty litter – Costco Brand that “clumps tight”
- Diamond Brand dry cat food (only Diamond, pls) Adult Maintenance & Kitten (found at Veterinary Clinics)
- Cans of “a/d” wet cat food – “Hill's Prescription – Science Diet”
- “KMR” brand powdered milk for bottle feeding tiny kittens
- Nutrigel – oral vitamin supplement – brown gel, comes in a large tube (like toothpaste)
- Cat toys
- Pet carriers – especially the large hard plastic ones – we use them for 'bedrooms' during the rainy season or cool winter nights.
- Litter pans – very large and deep – made of hard plastic
- Aluminum pans – (for roasting turkey in oven)
- Clorox liquid bleach
- Pinesol – or other liquid multipurpose “green” cleaner
- Odoban – multipurpose liquid cleaner, or similar